Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thursday's Movie Review: Valley of the Dolls (1967)


As an anachronistic diva I find inspiration in many things but movies are one of my favorite sources. I like watching classic movies because they form the furniture of our culture and are referenced again and again.
Valley of the Dolls is one of those movies that is mentioned so many times but how many of us have actually seen it? Luckily Netflix streaming came to my rescue!



Yowza! How risque and scandalous right? Watching Valley of the Dolls was kind of like ripping off a band-aid very very slowly. The movie starts out bright-eyed and bushy-tailed with Miss Wells moving to New York City where the three girls meet. As they grow famous their lives spiral downward and each faces subjects that are so intimate for women then and now. I love the clothes--Jennifer's pink poolside palazzo pants + green bikini top and Lawson's gold beaded pantsuit stick with me. The make-up is inspiring too, the deep shading in the crease is so 60's! This would be a perfect movie to watch with your mom for a girls-night-out. Don't forget the sherry!

No comments:

Post a Comment