Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Style Diary: Memorial Day Weekend Festivities

I spent memorial day weekend in Port Clinton lake-ing in style. Summertime is all about stripping down a wardrobe to the bare minimum. I always struggle every Ohio summer to dress utilitarian yet stylish but I believe I'm getting better year after year.


No trip to a lakeside resort is complete without a "healthy" amount of golf-cart riding. This is our personal golf cart, butter-yellow with a striped awning. I've discovered the joy of city shorts from WHBM so I buy them in every color. I always wear flats with shorts because of that old addage--a lady knows the higher the hem the lower the heels. My tank is a cheapie from Old Navy, the print is very pin-up vacationing in Hawaii. Sunglasses and untamed lake hair complete the outfit.



The  perfect way to start the day is a morning boat ride in the Boston Whaler. I prepared for an afternoon on the water with a messy bun corralled with a vintage green scarf. My new green swim top is a refreshing change from last years red Marilyn number. My kate spade's sunnies are back again and my lipstick is MAC Morange. The perfect boating companion is Sadie, a corgi-westie mix!


After the boat ride I slipped on this navy and white striped number to attend the Walleye festival. I wore my favorite mid-heel mules and wrapped my boating-bun in another vintage scarf. My lipstick is Lime Crime Retrofuturist. The day was so easy and carefree we walked around and ate our way through the fair. Here I am sitting down to enjoy fried pickles and raspberry lemonade shaved ice on the lawn.



There was a petting zoo for only a dollar! There were piglets, a baby coyote, strange-looking birds, a hedgehog, tortoises, kangaroos, goats, llamas, antelope and holy cows from the Himalayas. I was trying to pet the animals without getting licked.


The final treat of the day was a fried snicker bar. Honestly, I didn't need to know such a thing existed!

Hopefully we'll be heading back to the lake for Independence Day for a few more days of relaxation and recreation.

No comments:

Post a Comment