Wednesday, September 7, 2011

How-to Trademark a Look


What do people think of when they think of you? Call your mom on the phone and ask "When you think of me what am I wearing?" What looks get you the most compliments at work? What items do you pull out of your closet the most, the items you grab when you don't know what to wear?

Those things, girlfriend, are your signature look. (If the answer to these questions are an OSU sweatshirt and Old Navy jeans it is time to reassess who you are presenting to the world, but that is for another article.) A signature look can be a piece of clothing, a cosmetic flourish, or statement accessories. Your trademark should be carefully crafted to convey your personal style to the world. You want to speak to your trademark daily but avoid literal interpretations--wearing all-over pink every day is not the best idea. Identify several trademark looks and capitalize on those, do multiple interpretations. Feel free to carry that Hermes Birken or wear that Vivienne Westwood orb pendant until death to utilize your cost per wear on expensive items. Most importantly keep updating your trademark look, if your trademark Yves Klein blue pumps are looking well beyond help it is time to buy a new pair.

Most importantly make sure your signature pieces reflect who you to the outside world, once a signature look is created it is hard to break!

My answers to the above questions for the curious:

Mom - "Too much boob and uncomfortable shoes." Which is my Mom's way of saying cleavage and high heels. It's hard not to show too much boob when you have too much boob to begin with. I love that high heels are my trademark and I will begrudgingly admit that my boobs are also a trademark. Mr. Anachronistic Style was also helpful--"black dress or pencil skirt. And I always picture you with brown hair, the way it was when we met." I didn't correct him and let him know it was PINK when we first met!

Work - Pencil skirts in bright colors, jewel-toned shift dresses, scarves, combining unique colors together & my neon leopard ballet flats.

5-second Closet Grab - One of my LBDs or a pencil skirt and cropped sweater. I always throw on my pearls.

Signature style - Black dresses, colorful skirts, heels, and...cleavage.

No comments:

Post a Comment