Thursday, August 18, 2011

Thursday's Movie Review - Funny Girl (1968)

Funny Girl (1968) is a rags to riches tale about a girl making it big on Broadway as a comedienne. Fannie Brice (Barbara Streisand) experiences the highs and lows of show business and experiences a whirl-wind and doomed romance with the professional gambler Nicky Arnstein. Set in the 1910's the movie is all about the costumes, each outfit Barbara Streisand wears is worth pouring over in every minute detail. The leopard coat and cloche worn in the theater, the purple dress she wears to her dinner with Nicky, and the train-station outfit are most memorable for me.



Streisand carries the movie and the plot is secondary to her charms. I never experienced her talents for myself so the movie was very eye-opening for me, I understand now why so many people love her. Watch this one with your BFF and a bag of popcorn.


No comments:

Post a Comment