Thursday, September 22, 2011

Thursday Movie Review: All About Eve (1950)

All About Eve (1950) is a fascinating film that harkens back to when movies had literary qualities. The subtle psychology behind each actor and the fiery tirades of Margot Channing (Bette Davis) punctuate the film with wit and humor. The title character Eve Harrington (Anne Baxter) worms her way into Margot's life and tries to supplant her career and her relationships. The clothes are inspiring and be careful not to miss an early role from Marilyn Monroe's career. One of the movie's themes is oppositions--New York vs. Hollywood, Old vs. Young, married vs. single. One of my favorite scenes is when Margot's boyfriend turns Eve down--"What I go after I go after. I don't want it to come after me." Makes me nostalgic for a time when men had standards. Watch this one with your token-gay-male-friend or an aging fabulous aunt that will quote the movie line by line for you!



Get the Look:

I adore several costume elements from the film but the suit Margot wore to the theater still haunts me. This is the perfect outfit for putting people in their place. You can get this look with the J.Crew Telegraph suit ($306) paired with this New York & Company silky bow blouse ($37). Be sure to add this Vivcore party bow purse ($95) with your basic black pumps. Extra style points for donning a faux mink ($199)!

No comments:

Post a Comment